Indian States in Pre-Independence Era
There were 17 provinces and 584 princely states in the British India. The provinces were:
- Ajmer – Merwara (Now part of of Rajasthan)
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Assam (Seven Sister states and some parts of Bangladesh)
- Baluchistan (Joined Pakistan after Independence)
- Bengal (Split into West Bengal and East Pakistan (Bangladesh))
- Bombay (Consisted parts of Maharashtra and Karnataka)
- Central Provinces & Berar (It is Madhya Pradesh in the present time)
- Coorg (Now part of Karnataka)
- Delhi (Now part of NCT of Delhi)
- Madras (Consisted parts of present day Tamil Nnadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka)
- North-West Frontier (Joined Pakistan after Independence)
- Orissa (It is Odisha in the present time)
- Panth-Piploda (Now part of Madhya Pradesh)
- Punjab (Split into two parts between India and Pakistan)
- Sindh (Joined Pakistan after Independence)
- United Provinces (It is Uttar Pradesh in the present time)
After independence of India from the British Rule, the 584 princely states either joined the Indian Union or Pakistan.
Sikkim was the last princely state to join the Indian Union in 1975.
Indians States at the Time of Independence
At the time of Independence on 15 August 1947, India had following 12 states:
- Central India
- Central Provinces
- United Provinces
By the time India became a sovereign democratic republic on 26 January 1950, states like Hyderabad, Jammu & Kashmir, Sikkim, Manipur and Tripura had also joined the Indian Union.
How Many States are There in the Present Day India?
In the present time, the Union of India has 28 states and 8 union territories.
The newest state in India is Telangana, which achieved statehood on 02 June 2014.
The newest union territory in India is Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu which was created on 26 January 2020 by combining the erstwhile Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu.
List of 28 States in India
- Andhra Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal
List of Eight Union Territories in India
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
- Jammu and Kashmir
Use the citation below to add this article to your bibliography
"List of States in India: At Present, Pre-Independence and Post-Independence." Dashamlav.com. Web. 3 June 2023. <https://dashamlav.com/india-states-union-territories-present-pre-independence-post-independence/>
Dashamlav.com, "List of States in India: At Present, Pre-Independence and Post-Independence." Accessed 3 June 2023. https://dashamlav.com/india-states-union-territories-present-pre-independence-post-independence/
"List of States in India: At Present, Pre-Independence and Post-Independence." (n.d.). Dashamlav.com. Retrieved 3 June 2023 from https://dashamlav.com/india-states-union-territories-present-pre-independence-post-independence/