||Coronavirus in India Updates
|27 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 4,167
- Recoveries: 60,491
- Number of Cases: 145,380 (and rising)
- 64th day of nationwide lockdown.
|26 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 4,167 (+146)
- Recoveries: 60,491
- Number of Cases: 145,380
- 63rd day of nationwide lockdown.
|25 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 4,021 (+154)
- Recoveries: 57,721
- Number of Cases: 138,845
- 62nd day of nationwide lockdown.
- With 6,977 cases in the last 24 hours, India sets a new record in number of cases in a single day.
- Domestic flights resumed in India. But many states have imposed restrictions.
|24 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 3,867 (+147)
- Recoveries: 54,441
- Number of Cases: 131,868
- 61st day of nationwide lockdown.
|23 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 3,720 (+137)
- Recoveries: 51,784
- Number of Cases: 125,101
- 60th day of nationwide lockdown.
- India recorded 6,654 new Covid-19 — highest number of cases in a day so far.
- Over 28 lakh samples tested for Covid-19 till date by ICMR.
- Sikkim reports first Covid-19 case.
|22 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 3,583 (+148)
- Recoveries: 48,534
- Number of Cases: 118,447
- 59th day of nationwide lockdown.
|21 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 3,435 (+132)
- Recoveries: 45,300
- Number of Cases: 112,359
- 58th day of nationwide lockdown.
|20 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 3,303 (+140)
- Recoveries: 42,298
- Number of Cases: 106,750
- 57th day of nationwide lockdown.
|19 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 3,163 (+134)
- Recoveries: 39,174
- Number of Cases: 101,139
- 56th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Covid-19 cases top 100,000 mark in India.
|18 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 3,029 (+157)
- Recoveries: 36,824
- Number of Cases: 96,169
- 55th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Death toll due to Covid-19 crosses 3,000 mark in India.
|17 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,872 (+120)
- Recoveries: 34,109
- Number of Cases: 90,927
- 54th day of nationwide lockdown.
- India records nearly 5,000 new Covid-19 cases in last 24 hrs.
- India extends lockdown until 31 May with more relaxations. This is fourth phase of nationwide lockdown.
- Domestic/international flights and metro rail will remain shut till 31 May.
- So far more than 1300 trains have run with more than 17 lakh migrants: Railways
|16 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,752 (+103)
- Recoveries: 30,153
- Number of Cases: 85,940
- 53rd day of nationwide lockdown.
- 21 migrant laborers killed as two trucks collide in Uttar Pradesh.
|15 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,649 (+100)
- Recoveries: 27,920
- Number of Cases: 81,970
- 52nd day of nationwide lockdown.
- Mizoram extends lockdown till May 31 to check spread of coronavirus.
|14 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,549 (+134)
- Recoveries: 26,235
- Number of Cases: 78,003
- 51st day of nationwide lockdown.
|13 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,415 (+122)
- Recoveries: 24,386
- Number of Cases: 74,281
- 50th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Uttar Pradesh has decided to scrap multiple allowances given to its employees.
- Atmanirbhar Bharat Mission will rest on 5 pillars – economy, infrastructure, technology driven system, demography and demand: Finance Minister.
- PM Cares Fund allocates Rs. 3,100 crores for fight against Covid-19.
|12 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,293 (+87)
- Recoveries: 22,455
- Number of Cases: 70,756
- 49th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation today at 8:00pm
- The PM announced a special financial package of Rs. 20 lakh crores for economy battered by coronavirus crisis.
- Prime Minister also said that lockdown 4 will be there but it will be very different, with new rules.
- Aarogya Setu now mandatory for railway travel.
|11 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,206 (+97)
- Recoveries: 20,917
- Number of Cases: 67,152
- 48th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Shramik Special trains can carry 1,700+ passengers, have up to 3 stations.
- Total 916 cases in Mumbai’s Dharavi.
|10 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 2,109 (+128)
- Recoveries: 19,358
- Number of Cases: 62,939
- 47th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Total number of deaths due to covid-19 crosses 2000 mark.
- Consider first week after lockdown as trial period, MHA tells Industries.
- 5 Air India pilots who flown in medical supplies from China test positive for Covid.
- Majority of Covid cases in Delhi are mild or asymptomatic, says Arvind Kejriwal.
- 3.5 lakh migrant workers have been ferried by 350 “Shramik Special” trains.
- PM Modi will meet Chief Minsters via video conferencing tomorrow 3:00pm.
- Railways to gradually restart passenger train ops from 12 May.
|09 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1,981 (+95)
- Recoveries: 17,847
- Number of Cases: 59,662
- 46th day of nationwide lockdown.
|08 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1,886 (+103)
- Recoveries: 16,540
- Number of Cases: 56,342
- 45th day of nationwide lockdown.
- 16 migrant workers, returning to their home in Madhya Pradesh, run over by a freight train in Maharashtra.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), backed by China, approves $500 million loan for India.
- All university students except those in final yr to be promoted without exam in Maharashtra: Minister
- Revised list of red, green and orange zones will be released soon: Govt
- Odisha increases quarantine period from 14 to 28 days
- Madras HC orders closure of all state-run liquor shops in Tamil Nadu
- Total number of cases in Dharavi rises to 808.
|07 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1,783 (+89)
- Recoveries: 15,267
- Number of Cases: 52,952
- 44th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Styrene gas leak in Vizag kills eight people
|06 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1,694 (+111)
- Recoveries: 14,183
- Number of Cases: 49,391
- 43rd day of nationwide lockdown.
- Ghaziabad will have Section 144 in place till May 31.
- Karnataka announces Covid-19 stimulus package of Rs. 1610 crores.
- 85 more BSF personnel test Covid-19 positive.
- Covid-19 infects 548 doctors, nurses, paramedics across India.
- Government bans export of alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
|05 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1,583 (+194)
- Recoveries: 13,161
- Number of Cases: 46,711
- 42nd day of nationwide lockdown.
- Biggest increase in number of cases and number deaths in India due to covid-19.
- Telangana extends lockdown until 29 May.
|04 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1,389 (+83)
- Recoveries: 11,762
- Number of Cases: 42,836
- 41st day of nationwide lockdown.
- First day of the third phase of nationwide lockdown.
- Over 11 lakh samples tested for Covid-19 till today: ICMR
- People queue up outside liquor shops in east Delhi.
- Delhi-Noida border to remain sealed, Sec 144 extended in Noida till May 17
- Civil services prelim exams, scheduled to be held on May 31, deferred: UPSC
- Total Covid-19 cases in Mumbai’s Dharavi mount to 632
|03 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1,306 (+83)
- Recoveries: 10,887
- Number of Cases: 40,263
- 40th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Last day of the extended lockdown. From tomorrow third phase of lockdown will begin.
- Indian Armed Forces did fly-pasts, showered petals, lit up naval vessels to salute corona warriors.
- CRPF headquarters in Delhi sealed after staff member tests positive for Covid-19.
- Delhi CM says the capital is ready to be reopened. He said to put the entire city in red zone is unfair.
|02 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1223 (+71)
- Recoveries: 10,018
- Number of Cases: 37,776
- 39th day of nationwide lockdown.
|01 May 2020
- Deaths in India: 1152 (+77)
- Recoveries: 9065
- Number of Cases: 35,365
- 38th day of nationwide lockdown.
- India extended the national lockdown for two more weeks.
- Railways deploys first train carrying 1200 migrants from Telangana to Jharkhand.
- Getting good results of plasma therapy: Delhi CM Kejriwal.
- Union Health Ministry has listed 130 districts in red zone, 284 in orange zone & 319 in green zone.
- Chief of Defense Staff, General Bipin Rawat, says flypasts by the IAF will be undertaken to honour the corona warriors.
- Railways has decided to charge migrant laborers ticket fare.
- Railway ministry cancels all passenger trains including local trains till May 17.
|30 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 1075 (+67)
- Recoveries: 8373
- Number of Cases: 33,610
- 37th day of nationwide lockdown.
- India has 49,800 RT-PCR tests per day for the last 5 days: Govt
- In the USA, the total number of people filing for unemployment benefits has now passed 30 million in a span of six weeks.
|29 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 1008 (+71)
- Recoveries: 7797
- Number of Cases: 31,787
- 36th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Portals of Kedarnath open, devotees not allowed ‘darshan’ due to Covid-19
- India’s death toll from coronavirus tops 1,000 mark.
- Health minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said that the government is conducting 60,000 tests per day.
|28 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 937 (+51)
- Recoveries: 7027
- Number of Cases: 29,974
- 35th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Government said that plasma therapy is experimental. May be dangerous.
|27 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 886 (+60)
- Recoveries: 6362
- Number of Cases: 28,380
- 34th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a video conference with the Chief Ministers of states.
- Meghalaya wants lockdown to continue post May 3
- Gujarat Congress leader Badruddin Shaikh dies due to Covid-19.
- PM has warned that the danger of virus is far from over: PMO.
- Odisha wants lockdown to continue for one more month
|26 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 826 (+47)
- Recoveries: 5914
- Number of Cases: 26,917
- 33rd day of nationwide lockdown.
- Covid-19 has now claimed over 2,00,000 lives globally.
|25 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 779 (+56)
- Recoveries: 5210
- Number of Cases: 24,942
- 32nd day of nationwide lockdown.
- Indian government allowed small shops to be opened. Malls, Cinema halls, multiplexes to remain close.
- Ramadan begins indoors for Muslims in India.
- Uttar Pradesh government bans public gathering till 30 June.
- Lockdown guidelines will remain unchanged in Maharashtra till 3 May: Health Minister Rajesh Tope
- MHA’s order regarding opening of shops to be implemented in non-containment zones across Delhi.
|24 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 723 (+37)
- Recoveries: 4814
- Number of Cases: 23,452
- 31st day of nationwide lockdown.
- Plasma therapy trial conducted on 4 Covid-19 patients satisfactory: Delhi CM
- Ministry of Home Affrairs said that situation is especially serious in major hotspot districts or emerging hotspots like Ahmadabad & Surat (Gujarat); Thane (Maharashtra); Hyderabad (Telangana); and Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
- Doubling rate of Covid-19 cases in country is now 10 days: Health ministry.
- Covid-19 outbreak under control, sans lockdown India would have around 1 lakh cases by now: Government of India.
|23 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 686 (+34)
- Recoveries: 4325
- Number of Cases: 21,700
- 30th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Ministry of Finance has announced that the Dearness Allowance (DA) payable to employees and pensioners, due from Jan 1, 2020, will not be paid. Also the additional DA, DR from July 1, 2020 and Jan 1, 2021 shall also not be paid.
- Lockdown has cut PM 2.5, PM 10 levels by half in Delhi: Central Pollution Control Board
- Growth of the virus in India has been more or less linear and not exponential: Health Ministry
|22 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 652 (+49)
- Recoveries: 3960
- Number of Cases: 20,471
- 29th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Delhi-Noida border has been completely sealed off.
- Government has brought an ordinance that makes violence against healthcare service personnel cognizable, non-bailable offense.
- ICMR issues protocol for using rapid antibody tests for Covid-19.
|21 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 603 (+44)
- Recoveries: 3260
- Number of Cases: 18,985
- 28th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Person living in Rashtrapati Bhavan premises tests positive for coronavirus
- Delhi-Ghaziabad border sealed to contain the spread of Covid-19.
- Many states have complained about the Chinese Rapid Test Kits.
- ICMR has told States not to use rapid test kits for next 2 days.
- Kedarnath temple will reopen as per schedule on 29 April.
|20 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 559 (+40)
- Recoveries: 2842
- Number of Cases: 17,656
- 27th day of nationwide lockdown.
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has resumed toll collection on national highways from today.
- Government sets up 6 inter-ministerial central teams to make on-spot assessment of COVID-19 situation.
- Doubling of coronavirus cases has slowed: Health ministry.
- Out of 100 coronavirus patients, 80 per cent are asymptomatic or show mild symptoms: ICMR
|19 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 519 (+31)
- Recoveries: 2302
- Number of Cases: 16,116
- 26th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Telangana extended lockdown until 07 May.
- Some of the lockdown restrictions will be lifted from tomorrow.
- Supply of non-essential goods by E-Commerce companies to remain prohibited during lockdown.
- Delhi government has decided not to give any relaxation in lockdown.
|18 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 488 (+36)
- Recoveries: 2015
- Number of Cases: 14,792
- 25th day of nationwide lockdown.
- NHAI will resume toll collection on national highways from 20 April.
- Maharashtra government will provide an assistance of Rs. 2,000 each to 12 lakh registered construction workers.
- Air India opens bookings for select domestic flights 04 May 2020 onwards and International Flights 01 June 2020 onwards.
- Research on side effects of hydroxychloroquine drug underway: ICMR
- Delhi govt to give Rs. 1 crore compensation to family of doctors/nurse if they die due to Covid-19
- ICMR has said that a total of 3,72,123 samples have been tested so far in India.
- Govt revises FDI norms to shield Indian firms from opportunistic takeover. Now FDI from countries that share land border with India, would require Indian government’s prior approval. This move is primarily aims to curb Chinese attempts to takeover Indian firms.
|17 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 452 (+32)
- Recoveries: 1767
- Number of Cases: 13,835
- 24th day of nationwide lockdown.
- Uttarakhand to allow industrial activities from 20 April.
- RBI Governor, Shaktikanta Das, announced 50,000 crores special finance facility for financial institutions such as Nabard, Sidbi, NHB
- RBI cuts reverse repo rate from 4% to 3.75%
- No private school in Delhi will be allowed to increase fees during lockdown: Manish Sisodia, Delhi Deputy CM
- India lifts curbs on exports of medicines made from Paracetamol.
- No definitive result on use of BCG: ICMR
- Dharavi records more than 100 cases of Covid-19
- 25 Indian Navy personnel tested positive for the virus in Mumbai.
|16 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 420 (+28)
- Recoveries: 1515
- Number of Cases: 12,759
- 23rd day of nationwide lockdown.
- A hoax is circulating online on social media platforms that India has outlawed social media posts about Covid-19. This is wrong. There is no such order from the government.
- India has procured 6,50,000 Rapid Antibody Testing Kits from China.
- 15 new cases of covid-19 in Dharavi of Mumbai.
- Center permits Delhi government to conduct plasma technique treatment.
|15 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 392 (+39)
- Recoveries: 1344
- Number of Cases: 11,933
- 22nd day of nationwide lockdown.
- All social, political, sports, religious places to remain closed till 03 May.
- Grocery stores, fruit, vegetables shops or carts, milk booths, poultry, meat and fish shops shall remain open during the extended lockdown: MHA
- Wearing of masks in public places is mandatory across country: MHA
- Ministry of Home Affairs has said that the following will be allowed to open after April 20:
- Highway ‘dhabas’
- Truck repairing shops
- call centers for government activities
- Manufacturing units of pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Construction of medical infrastructure
- Industries operating in rural areas are permitted to resume work from April 30.
- 170 districts in India are Covid-19 hotspots and 207 districts are potential hotspots: MHA
- Health minister Dr Harsh Vardhan says 400 districts in India free of Covid-19.
|14 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 353 (+29)
- Recoveries: 1190
- Number of Cases: 10,815
- 21st day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation on television and announced the extension of lockdown until 03 May 2020. He also said that some ease in restrictions in select areas will be considered after 20 April.
- The Prime Minister asked people to follow the following seven points:
- Take extra care of old people at home
- Follow social distancing, wear home-made face masks
- Follow guidelines issued by Ministry of Ayush
- Do download Aarogya Setu app
- As far as possible, help the needy
- Do not sack people working for you, be sensitive to their needs
- Respect doctors, nurses and all those fighting against Covid-19
- International and domestic flight and passenger train services will remain completely shut in the country until 03 May.
- Thousands of migrant workers protested and clashed with police at Bandra station in Mumbai. These workers were demanding arrangement of transport to their native places.
- IMF has projected India’s growth rate at 1.9% in 2020
- ICMR informs that 2.3 lakh samples have been tested so far.
- According to government free ration and food grains distributed to 5.29 crore beneficiaries under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna.
- So far 7 people have died and total number of coronavirus cases has risen to 55 in Dharavi area of Mumbai.
- Metro service will remain suspended in Delhi until 03 May.
|13 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 324 (+51)
- Recoveries: 980
- Number of Cases: 9,352
- 20th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- PM Modi will address the nation tomorrow at 10:00am to announce the way forward after the lockdown period ends.
- Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and Arunachal Pradesh have extended lockdown until 30 April 2020.
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai has donated Rs. 5 crore to Give India for coronavirus relief work.
- Nagaland records first Covid-19 positive case; patient admitted in Assam.
|12 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 273 (+31)
- Recoveries: 765
- Number of Cases: 8,447
- 19th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- India may create Red, Orange and Green zones in the extended lockdown period. These zones will have different levels of restriction.
- ICMR has informed that a total of 1,95,748 samples from 1,81,028 individuals have been tested as on 12 April, 9:00pm
- Delhi government’s Operation SHIELD is going on in the containment zones of National Capital Region. SHIELD stands for Sealing, Home quarantine, Isolation and tracing, Essential supply, Local sanitation and Door-to-door checks.
- Ministry of HRD launched Yukti Portal.
|11 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 242 (+36)
- Recoveries: 653
- Number of Cases: 7,529
- 18th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- Maharashtra, Karnataka and Telangana have extended the lockdown until 30 April.
- PM Narendra Modi chaired a meeting of Chief Ministers. It is likely that nation-wide lockdown will be extended until 30 April. Announcement is expected tomorrow.
- Chhattisgarh makes wearing masks in public places mandatory.
|10 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 206 (+37)
- Recoveries: 516
- Number of Cases: 6,761
- 17th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- After Odisha, now Punjab has extended the lockdown until 30 April.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has said that India needs about 1 crore hydroxychloroquine tablets whereas a total of 3.28 crore hydroxychloroquine tablets available at present.
- The ministry has also said that there still no community transmission in the country and that there is no need to panic.
- India conducted 16002 test on 09 April. Of these 2% tests came positive.
- 22 cases have been reported from Mumbai’s Dharavi slum area.
|09 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 169 (+20)
- Recoveries: 478
- Number of Cases: 5,865
- 16th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- Odisha has extended the lockdown until 30 April.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has said that hydroxychloroquine should be given only for patients and doctors who are exposed to the infections. This drug is harmful for cardiac patients.
- ICMR has said that so far India has tested 1,30,000 samples for Covid-19.
- Third coronavirus death occurred today in Dharavi slum area of Mumbai.
|08 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 149 (+25)
- Recoveries: 411
- Number of Cases: 5,274
- 15th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- Supreme Court of India has ruled that the private labs can not charge people for Covid-19 tests.
- In Maharashtra and Delhi, face masks have been made compulsory when stepping out of home.
- Prime Minister held a meeting of all Chief Ministers through video conference. The PM said that no Chief Minister asked him to lift the lockdown. This is being seen as a hint that the continuing lockdown period will be extended even after 14 April.
|07 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 124 (+13)
- Recoveries: 353
- Number of Cases: 4,789
- 14th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- US President Donald Trump warned India of “retaliation” if ban on export of hydroxychloroquine was not lifted.
- India has partially lifted ban on the export of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and paracetamol.
- Government is considering extension of lockdown after 14 April 2020.
|06 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 111 (+28)
- Recoveries: 319
- Number of Cases: 4,281
- 13th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- Union cabinet has passed an ordinance stating that the following functionaries will take a 30% pay cut for one year from 01 April 2020 to 31 March 2021
- Prime Minister of India
- All Ministers
- All Members of Parliament
- Pension taking former MPs
- The President of India, vice president, governors of states have also voluntarily decided to take a pay cut.
- Member of Parliament’s Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) fund has also been suspended for next two years. Each Member of Parliament gets Rs. 5 crores for the development work in their constituency. About Rs. 7,900 crores is under the MPLAD fund for next two years.
- All the money saved from these measure will go into the Consolidated Fund of India.
- Nobel Prize winner Abhijit Banerjee has been included in the Covid-19 fighting team of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee.
|05 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 83 (+8)
- Recoveries: 275
- Number of Cases: 3,577
- 12th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- USA has asked for hydroxychloroquine from India. This drug is used as a prophylactic (a chemical used for prevention of a disease) for healthcare workers.
- Home Ministry has said that more than 75 lakh people are being provided with food during lockdown.
- Mini Diwali in India. India lit lamps, candles and torches in a show of unity against coronavirus pandemic. In his video message on 03 April, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had asked the citizen to lit lamps for nine minutes at 9:00pm on 05 April 2020.
|04 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 75 (+13)
- Recoveries: 213
- Number of Cases: 3,072
- 11th day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- More than 1100 cases in India have now found to be linked with Nizamuddin Markaz meet.
- Health ministry said that government will provide free testing and treatment for COVID-19 under the Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY.
|03 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 62 (+9)
- Recoveries: 163
- Number of Cases: 2,547
- Tenth day of the 21-day nationwide lockdown.
- Prime Ministry Narendra Modi, in a video message, asked the nation to lit diyas, candles, torches on 5 April 2020 at 9:00pm for nine minutes.
- Uttar Pradesh government will invoke National Security Act against Tablighi Jamaat members who misbehaved with healthcare workers.
- 93-years old Thomas Abraham and his 88-years old wife Mariyamma are among the oldest Indians to have recovered from covid-19 disease. Both were discharged from the hospital today.
|02 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 53 (+12)
- Recoveries: 156
- Number of Cases: 2,069 (+235)
- Ninth day of the 21-day lockdown.
- Bhai Nirmal Singh Khalsa, Padma Shri awardee, died after testing positive for Covid-19.
- Center government has told states to imprison the lockdown violators.
|01 April 2020
- Deaths in India: 41 (+6)
- Recoveries: 144
- Number of Cases: 1,834 (+437)
- Eighth day of the 21-day lockdown.
- More than 300 Coronavirus positive cases have been linked to the Nizamuddi Markaz gathering.
- One person died in Mumbai’s Dharavi slum. Dharavi is considered to be the world’s largest slum. It is also one of the most densely populated area in the world.
|31 March 2020
- Deaths in India: 35 (+3)
- Recoveries: 124
- Number of Cases: 1,397 (+146)
- Seventh day of the 21-day lockdown.
- Maharashtra announced salary cut of government employees.
- Government has identified 10 coronavirus hotspots in the country. These are, Nizamuddin West (Delhi), Dilshad Garden (Delhi), Bhilwara (Rajasthan), Noida (Uttar Pradesh), Meerut (Uttar Pradesh), Mumbai (Maharashtra), Pune (Maharashtra), Ahmedabad (Gujarat), Kasaragod (Kerala) and Pathanamthitta (Kerala).
|30 March 2020
- Deaths in India: 32 (+5)
- Recoveries: 102
- Number of Cases: 1,251 (+227)
- Sixth day of the 21-day lockdown.
- Mass exodus of migrant workers still continuing. Workers are getting quarantined upon reaching in their home states.
- Telangana announced that it will cut salaries of government employees, CM, ministers, MLAs and MLCs.
- Congregation of Tablighi Jamaat in Nizamuddin area in New Delhi in early March spread the infection. Multiple coronavirus positive cases and deaths have been linked to the congregation.
|29 March 2020
- Deaths in India: 27 (+7)
- Recoveries: 95
- Number of Cases: 1,024 (+106)
- Fifth day of the 21-day lockdown.
|28 March 2020
- Deaths in India: 20 (+2)
- Recoveries: 80
- Number of Cases: 918 (+84)
- Fourth day of the 21-day lockdown.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund (PM-CARES) for donations to “India’s war against Covid-19“. The PM urged people to contribute to this fund.
- Actor Akshay Kumar donated Rs. 25 crores to the PM-CARES fund.
- Massive crowds of immigrant workers wanting to go back home gather at inter-state bus terminals. Thousands of daily wagers walking back home covering hundreds of kilometers on foot.
|27 March 2020
- Deaths in India: 18 (+2)
- Recoveries: 74
- Number of Cases: 834 (+140)
- Third day of the 21-day lockdown.
- Reserve Bank of India cut repo rate by 75 base points
- RBI allowed 3-month moratorium on EMIs
|26 March 2020
- Deaths in India: 16 (+4)
- Recoveries: 44
- Number of Cases: 694
- Second day of the 21-day lockdown.
- Finance Minister Ms. Nirmala Sitaraman announced a relief package of Rs. 1.7 lakh crores (US$24 billion) to help the poor.
- This package is called Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana.
- Ms. Sitharaman also announced free gas cylinders for three months to beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
|25 March 2020
- Deaths in India Total 12 (ten Indians and two foreigners)
- Total Number of Cases: 606 (+87)
- India begins its 21-day lockdown.
- According to ICMR 25,144 samples have been tested until 25 March.
|24 March 2020
- Deaths in India Total 12 (ten Indians and two foreigners)
- Total Number of Cases: 519 (+51)
- ICMR study says that hundreds of thousands of people may get infected in Delhi and Mumbai alone.
- Finance Miniter, Ms. Nirmala Seetharaman announced that the tax return deadline has been extended from 31 March to 30 June 2020. She also said that no ATM charges will be levied on money withdrawal from any bank.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced nationwide lockdown for 21 days.
- Amazon India stopped delivery of non-essential items; will deliver only Household Staples, Packaged Food, Health Care, Hygiene, Personal safety and other high priority products.
|23 March 2020
- Deaths in India Total 11 (nine Indians and two foreigners)
- Total Number of Cases: 468 (+77)
- A 68-year-old man from Philippines died in Mumbai after initial recovery.
- All domestic flights have been banned in India
- Complete lockdown in these states / UTs: Chandigarh, Delhi, Goa, Jammu and Kashmir, Nagaland, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Ladakh, Jharkhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Tripura, Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Haryana, Gujarat, Karnataka and Assam
- Lockdown in parts of Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Lakshadweep.
|22 March 2020
- Seventh Death in India A man died in Bihar.
- Sixth Death in India A 63-year old man died in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Total Number of Cases: 391 (+62)
- India is in lockdown. Public is observing Janata Curfew throughout the nation.
- An Air India special flight brought 263 Indians evacuated from Italy.
- Indian Railways suspended all passenger train operations all over India until 31 March.
- Delhi Metro stopped all trains until 31 March.
- All inter-state bus services have been suspended until 31 March.
- Delhi has sealed its borders and a lockdown until 31 March has been announced.
- India has locked down 82 districts in various states.
|21 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 329 (+80)
- Kanika Kapoor, a singer, who returned from London tested positive in Lucknow. She had attended several parties in Uttar Pradesh which were also attended by politicians, bureaucrats, industrialists. Many people have gone into self-quarantine.
|20 March 2020
- Fifth Death in India A 69-year old Italian man died in Rajasthan.
- Total Number of Cases: 249 (+51)
- Kanika Kapoor, a singer, who returned from London tested positive in Lucknow. She had attended several parties in Uttar Pradesh which were also attended by politicians, bureaucrats, industrialists. Many people have gone into self-quarantine.
|19 March 2020
- Fourth Death A 72-year old man died in Punjab.
- First Indian Died Overseas: One Indian man infected with coronavirus died in Iran
- Total Number of Cases: 198 (+28)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi appealed to all Indian citizen to observe Janta Curfew on 22 March
- Mr. Modi announced that “science has not been able to find an answer or vaccine for COVID-19“
- Government of India said, No international flight will be allowed to land in India from March 22.
|18 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 170 (+30)
- India bans the entry of travelers from the European Union, United Kingdom and Turkey from till 31 March.
|17 March 2020
- Third Death: A 64-year old man died in Maharashtra.
- Total Number of Cases: 140 (+26)
- Mumbai’s Siddhivinayak Temple has been closed for devotees till further notice.
- All ASI monuments including the Taj Mahal, Red Fort and Qutub Minar, and museums under the Archaeological Department of India will remain closed till 31 March.
|16 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 114 (+4)
- Government of India banned the entry of travelers from the European Union, United Kingdom and Turkey from 18 March till 31 March.
- India evacuated 53 Indians, including 52 students and 1 teacher, from Tehran and Shiraz cities of Iran.
|15 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 110 (+10)
- Video Conference of SAARC leaders was organized on suggestion of Indian PM Modi. The Indian Prime Minister allocated USD 10 million for the COVID19 Emergency Fund for the SAARC countries.
- 218 Indians from Italy were evacuated by a special Air India flight.
|14 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 100 (+15)
- Government of India declared the COVID-19 pandemic as a notified disaster under the Disaster Management Act, 2005. This would allow states to spend a larger part of funds from the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) to fight the coronavirus.
|13 March 2020
- Second Death: A 68-year old woman died in Delhi.
- Total Number of Cases: 85 (+8)
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi suggested that all SAARC leaders should meet through a video conference link to discuss strategies for fighting COVID-19 pandemic.
- The BCCI announced that the opening of IPL 2020 was postponed from 29 March to 15 April.
- Govt brought face masks and hand sanitizers under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955. This was done to stop hoarding and price-rise in view the Covid-19 outbreak.
|12 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 77 (+12)
- Indian markets crashed. BSE Sensex dropped 2,919 points. The NIFTY dropped 950 points.
|11 March 2020
|10 March 2020
- First Death: A 76-year old man died in Kalaburagi, Karnataka.
- Total Number of Cases: 65 (+15)
|9 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 50 (+7)
|8 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 43 (+6)
|7 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 37 (+3)
|6 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 34 (+1)
|5 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 33 (+1)
- Government of Delhi announced closure of all primary schools across Delhi until 31 March as a precaution.
|4 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 32 (+23)
|3 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 9 (+3)
|2 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 6 (+3)
|1 March 2020
- Total Number of Cases: 3 (+0)
|26 February 2020
- Indian government sent medical supplies to China. The supplies include one lakh masks, 5 lakh pairs of gloves, 75 infusion pumps, 30 internal feeding pumps.
|11 February 2020
- WHO announced that the 2019-20 Coronavirus disease will be officially called COVID-19.
|3 February 2020
- Third confirmed case in India.
|2 February 2020
- Second confirmed case in India.
- India evacuated a second Air India flight carrying 323 Indians and seven Maldivians from Wuhan region.
|1 February 2020
- First death outside China occurred in the Philippines.
- India evacuated 324 people which included three minors, 211 students and 110 working professionals from Wuhan region on its first Air India flight evacuation.
|30 January 2020
- First confirmed case in India. A student who had returned from Wuhan University (China) to Kerala was found positive with novel coronavirus infection.
|9 January 2020
- First confirmed death due to novel coronavirus was on 9 January 2020 in Wuhan, China.
|31 December 2019
- A cluster of pneumonia cases of unknown cause was reported in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, China.