Here are some interesting facts about Indian rivers:
- Ganga is known as Padma river when it enters Bangladesh.
- Godavari is also known as Dakshin Ganga.
- Chambal is probably the cleanest river in India. People do not bathe in Chambal because of a story that says that anybody who touches the waters of Chambal gets cursed.
- Thamirabarani is the only perennial river in South India.
- Longest bridge in India is Bhupen Hazarika Bridge. It is built on Lohit river, a tributary of Brahmaputra. This bridge is also known as Dhola-Sadia bridge and it is 9,150 meters long. The bridge was inaugurated on 26 May 2017.
- Triveni Sangam is the place where three holy rivers, Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, meet. It is located in Prayag Raj, also known as the Sangam City.
- Tehri Dam on Bhagirathi river is the biggest, highest and tallest dam in India and also the eighth highest dam in the world, located at Uttarakhand.
- The Ganga and the Brahmaputra together form the largest delta in the world – the Sunderban Delta.
- The highest waterfall in India – Jog Falls is formed when Sharavathi river flows from a height of 829 ft.
- Most of the rivers in India flow from West to East direction to empty in the Bay of Bengal.
- Only a few like Narmada, Tapti and Sabarmati rivers flow from East to West direction.
- Two major rivers flowing in Rajasthan – Luni and Banas have inland water drainage, i.e., they do not empty into the ocean, but get lost in the sand.
- Yamuna is the most polluted river in India.
- Indus, Jhelum, Ravi and, Satluj are the rivers that originate in India and flow into Pakistan.
- Brahmaputra river is known as Yarlung Tsangpo in China, Dihang in Arunachal Pradesh and Jamuna in Bangladesh.
- Brahmaputra is the ninth largest river in the world by discharge, and the 15th longest.
- Mahanadi used to be known as the distress of Odisha because it caused a lot of floods in the state. The situation has been brought under control by building Hirakud Dam on Mahanadi.
- Majuli is the a river island in Brahmaputra in the state of Assam. Majuli is the world’s largest river island.
- Majuli island is the first island districts in India. It was declared a district in 2016.
- Yamuna is the longest tributary in India.
- Godavari is the longest river in the Southern India.
Use the citation below to add this article to your bibliography
"Interesting Facts about Indian Rivers." Dashamlav.com. Web. 30 September 2023. <https://dashamlav.com/interesting-facts-about-indian-rivers/>
Dashamlav.com, "Interesting Facts about Indian Rivers." Accessed 30 September 2023. https://dashamlav.com/interesting-facts-about-indian-rivers/
"Interesting Facts about Indian Rivers." (n.d.). Dashamlav.com. Retrieved 30 September 2023 from https://dashamlav.com/interesting-facts-about-indian-rivers/