International Literacy Day is observed on 08 September every year. The ability to read, write, and use basic numeracy is probably one of the most important tools of empowerment even today. This day reiterates the importance of literacy globally.
To raise awareness about literacy and its importance among individuals, communities, societies across the world.
A resolution was passed in the year 1966 at the 14th General Conference of UNESCO declaring 08 September as International Literacy Day. Accordingly, the very first observance of International Literacy Day was marked on 08 September 1967.
International Literacy Day Theme 2020
The theme of International Literacy Day 2020 is “Literacy teaching and learning in the COVID-19 crisis and beyond.”
The outbreak of the COVID-19 crisis has shaken the world in an unprecedented manner. It has intensely affected the teaching and learning process globally among children, youth, and adults. Thus, this year’s theme focuses on the course to be taken to overcome the impact of the COVID-19 crisis and continue with the lifelong learning perspective.
Impactful Quotes on International Literacy Day
- “Literacy is the most basic currency of the knowledge economy.” — Barack Obama
- “You have not fully expressed your power as a voter until you have scientific literacy in topics that matter for future political issues.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
- “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” — Frederick Douglass
- “My feeling is that if you can make a big impact on the global literacy problem, you can uplift a big portion of society.” — Peter Diamandis
- “If you give people literacy, bad ideas can be attacked and experiments tried, and lessons will accumulate.” — Steven Pinker
- “Literacy in itself is no education. Literacy is not the end of education or even the beginning. By education, I mean an all-round drawing out of the best in the child and man-body, mind and spirit.” — Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- “Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Literacy is so much entwined in our lives that we often fail to realize that the act of reading is a miracle that is evolving under our fingertips.” — Maryanne Wolf
- “Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.” — Kofi Annan
- “You educate a man, you educate a man. You educate a woman, you educate a generation.” — Brigham Young
Use the citation below to add this article to your bibliography
"International Literacy Day: Objective, History, Theme & Quotes." Dashamlav.com. Web. 3 February 2023. <https://dashamlav.com/international-literacy-day-objective-history-theme-quotes/>
Dashamlav.com, "International Literacy Day: Objective, History, Theme & Quotes." Accessed 3 February 2023. https://dashamlav.com/international-literacy-day-objective-history-theme-quotes/
"International Literacy Day: Objective, History, Theme & Quotes." (n.d.). Dashamlav.com. Retrieved 3 February 2023 from https://dashamlav.com/international-literacy-day-objective-history-theme-quotes/